kisses and cake.

by kimberley veart

We stumble out the door, overflowing with laughter and noise breaking the evening stillness. The neighbours switch on their porch lights.

Then everybody is gone; with the slamming of car doors and the hooting of horns. They leave me with the tangled streamers on the floor.

I suppose the party is over now.

They said their goodbyes and thanks for a lovely night. They apologise for the mess they've left behind and I pretend (being the good little hostess) that its fine, just fine. I added a shrug, a smile and a mock 'boot out the door' to make it convincing. I am expecting Oscar buzz to begin any day now.

I come in from the cold. The house seems to have expanded; there is a sudden silence after all the laughter, clinking of glasses and increasingly nonsensical chatter.

I deflate the balloons and watch them float to the ground. Scrape icing off the table, cake off the floor. Wipe the spilled wine away. The artefacts of a good evening swept away with a cloth and a rubbish bag.

Ephemeral and fleeting, leaving a trail of unflattering photographs on cameras to (hopefully) be soon forgotten.

Dirty dishes are still soaking in the sink, left until the morning. I lazily pretend this is a purely practical measure.

Oh reality.




related posts.

somebody that i used to know by kimberley veart

the soiree: a recipe by charlotte guest