chasing ghosts.

by kimberley veart

Woody Allen and I share a malady, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

We both are sufferers of the condition of 'nostalgia' and long for our spiritual homes in our idealised, rose hued visions of past decades. He wishes for the twenties, the 'golden age', when apparently walking in the rain in Paris was common practice.

I long for the sixties. For the time when Mary Quant dresses were in, the Beatles and their bowl cuts reigned and Edie Sedgewick was still Andy Warhol's muse.


I mean, Andy Warhol was there - need I say more?

I struggle living in a world where Audrey Hepburn isn't around and instead Kim Kardashian sets the trends (while sullying the good Kimberley name!) and reality TV destroys any semblance of class.

How am I meant to come to come to terms with having Snooki on the covers of  magazines instead of Twiggy? Ke$ha topping charts instead of Simon and Garfunkel? There is something very appealing about a time when the letter 's' wasn't a dollar sign and the word 'Lady' in front of your name meant you were actually aristocracy.

If I was Samantha (or if she was actually not a fictional character) I would twitch my nose and find myself on the pavement of Carnaby Street, London in the midst of it all.

The idea of stumbling back in time is enchanting; to wander the streets and be part of the inner circles of the icons, share drinks, laughter, angst and music and realise that they too are wishing for the past.

For I know the story would no doubt end with Disney-esque poetry, as I discover the flaws of the 'swinging city' and begin to long for my own time. I would realise the benefits of what 2012 has to offer (predicted impending doom aside) and one day click my heels together and whisper 'there's no place like home.'

Wouldn't the journey be fun though?




related posts.

the way we were by kimberley veart

optimists anonymous by kimberley veart