what to do with an arts degree.

by kimberley veart

There was a hot air balloon floating over the amber clouds as the sun set, and I almost drove off the road.

I was struck, gazing wide eyed through my windshield and almost breathless.

I had seen (dramatic drum roll please) ... my future.

My (yet to be lived) life was passing before my eyes, I could see it all: the far flung exotic cities, endless horizons and sensational sunrises that I would drift on through.

Up in my little basket, there would be all the time in the world for completing my bucket (or perhaps basket?) list. I would finally get around to reading War and Peace. However, this might make the whole staying up-in-the-air bit kind of difficult and I hear that this is somewhat crucial to hot air ballooning.

I could become extremely philosophical, left only with my own thoughts, Tolstoy, skies and stars. I would write observations from my lofty perspective in obscure verses, not caring if anyone ever read them.

I would take photographs of the people running around like busy ants below me, stressing in their little beetle bug cars as they speed their way to their next destination. I would enjoy circling houses, offices, and cities within my hands just so I could feel powerful.

Ah...what a life it would be.

I have my answer ready now, for when people inevitably ask what I'll do after I graduate, or its slightly more judgemental alternative "what are you qualified for again?"

I will tell them that I am going to spend my life as a hot air balloon enthusiast.

My fall back plan is to buy a houseboat.

I'm hoping this will be sufficient to end the questioning.




related posts.

leaving the windows open by blaze edwards

sneakers vs sex tapes by claudia lewin