optimists anonymous.

by kimberley veart

I had a dramatic moment of self realisation this week.

Previously, when people pointed out my tendency to saccharine sweetness and sugared happy endings, I would deny that I had a problem. I'm just a party optimist, I'd say. Merely a casual user of the upbeat.

I can give up whenever I want.

However, when I recently described my time in England as "making friends with squirrels and singing and dancing my way through London," I knew there was something wrong.

It was then I realised that I live my life like a Disney character.

I'm hoping there is a specific support group out there to help me deal with this. We could discuss the difficulties of being dressed by cheery birds in the morning and encourage each other in our pursuit of joyful resolutions, preferably accompanied by a musical number.

My desire to experience what I term a "musical moment" should really have been my first sign.

And my so-called "Bambi eyes" expression... Another red flag.

Or perhaps even how I consider my cat to be an important member of the family and hold long (rather one-sided) conversations with him, perhaps that could've been a warning too.

And then there is way I use baked goods as swear words instead of actual expletives.

Fudge and cupcakes! The evidence is stacking up against me. Time for a full confessional.

When I'm nervous, I even sing along in my head to "I have confidence and confidence in meee!" from Sound of Music, wishing I could stomp around like Julie Andrews, swinging her bags and swirling her coat.

My (two) alarm clocks wake me up with the sound of birds chirping and 'Pocketful of Sunshine'.

Sometimes I am so bubbly and bouncy, I irritate myself.




related posts.

hanging by a moment by kimberley veart

sculptures & soundwaves by kimberley veart